Monday, February 22, 2010

A Dilemma: Should There Be Censorship In Art?


What is art? In educational terms art is an activity in which paintings, sculptures, and other pictures are created. However, for some art isn't just an activity but a passion. A passion in which people can express a certain thought or feeling. In my opinion only those who take art as a passion know the true meaning of art, otherwise for some it is just painting a few lines just to get an assignment done. Art is really about expressing your thought in whatever form you feel is right. The fun part about art is watching someone observe your work and actually think hard about what message you were trying to get across.

What can the message be? A message in art can be any thought the artist wishes to express. Any point they wish to tell the world about. How can this message be brought about? The message in art work can be brought about however the artist wishes to express because that is what art is about. However, there is a bit of problem when it comes to how an artist should express art. I don't know about others but sometimes when I see certain paintings I feel that the audience this is being shown to must be appropriate.

Now this doesn't apply to all type of art work. I am specifically speaking of paintings in which the human body is revealed. Now I understand that a certain message is being brought across but lately art has been attracted by the youth and it is necessary to think that is the youth appropriate for these paintings. Majority of the youth may take the art seriously because of their maturity level but as I see it the new generation seems to lack in maturity, in some cases, and it is a thought of whether they will appreciate it or not.

Another thought is, whether it is alright for an artist to use the human body in art while revealing it? Artists may be free to express their ideas but if nudity is censored in certain cases should it be censored in art?

An example of such art is Frida Kahlo's "The Broken Column" in which a women's breast are openly painted.

So I wonder, should art be censored as certain areas are in entertainment or media? Or is art free enough to express anything we wish?

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you say are should be censored, but it depends on the case. In the picture "The Broken Column" I feel that it has to be drawn the way it is to get the thought across. In my opinion I think that Frida painted this because she wanted to show what she had to go throw in the accident she was in. If she did not draw it the way she did then she would not be able to show the world what happened to her. If you feel this was about paintings then what do you think about Michael Angelo's "David"? I want to know your opinion on whether it should be censored. I think if the artist could make it censored they will, but by not censoring it, it shows the true beauty of the human body in their eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can never really decide. Sometimes I think it's an artist freedom to express their passion in any way they please. Sometimes it seems as if they should be censored. There isn't any real answer I can come up with right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completly agree with you when you say that todays generation lacks maturity. With certain art, such as Frida Kahlo's "The Broken Column," I don't think they would be able to understand the true meaning behind it. Although I may not feel the need for women to be exposed as such in art work, art is art. It is someones creation. As long as there is true meaning behind their artwork, there should be no censorship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that like books, art should not be censored in any way. I understand why you might think that some forms of art are innapropriate, however, maybe some types of art are meant to violate society? To interrupt and ruin its precious ideals? Such forms of art cause for the growth of the human mind's boundaries and let people communicate with the painter on an intimate level. For instance, the painting of Frida Kahlo's "The Broken Column", makes me feel a certain pain and makes me want to reach out to the painter, as if it is her suffering inside. I understand what you are stating though, such forms of art might not be healthy to the mind of a young child or teenager, however art is truly precious and deserves to be expressed freely, hence the saying "Censorship is to art, as lynching is to justice".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muhiba, i think you hit the nail on its head! YOu are exactly right. People these days (kids) dont apreciate the arts in general. Im always hearing kids saying "thats art!?" or "Oh my god that music is so old and boring!" I think people should appreciate different forms of art and how it is expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Art Should not be cencored. It's ones freedom of expression. You should be able to create art by the way you invision it. Your imagination shouldn't be cencored. That's like cencoring your mind. If people couldn't express themselves to the fullest extent then we wouldn't have art. All art would be the same. It would be conformed art. (I think I just made my own art form. Hahaha.) Exposine nude parts of the body is just appreciating the human race.

    ReplyDelete